By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Science project goes awry, 2 hurt
Teens burned in accident at lodge
Placeholder Image
Forsyth County News

Two teenagers suffered burns Tuesday after what officials called a freak accident during a science experiment.

The boys, ages 15 and 16, are residents of the Bald Ridge Lodge.

The nonprofit organization temporarily houses at-risk boys ages 12 to 17 who often are brought to the facility through the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services or Forsyth County Juvenile Court.

Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said the incident occurred about 6 p.m.

The younger teen was flown to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta for what appeared to be first- and second-degree burns to his upper body, face, hands and arms.

The 16-year-old was taken by ambulance to Northside Hospital-Forsyth for minor first-degree burns, Shivers said.

Fire Division Chief Kevin Wallace said both boys had returned to the lodge by Wednesday.

He explained that the teens were outside working on a science project with a tutor, who is also a teacher, when a chemical flashed.

"It was just a freak thing," Wallace said. "The two kids had minor injuries, both of them were stable."

Wallace said that the 16-year-old was treated and released. The 15-year-old returned to the lodge Wednesday after being kept overnight at the hospital for observation.

He went on to say that the younger teen was taken to Grady because he had wounds in so many places on his body. He likened the boy’s injuries to a bad sunburn.