BREAKING
Forsyth County delaying start of school Friday due to threat of icy roads
The threat of icy roads has forced local schools to delay Friday, Feb. 21.
Full Story
By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Electrical woes likely culprit in two fires
Smoky haze seen inside public buildings
courthouse fire 1 jd
Fire Lt. Greg Chapman takes a thermal imaging camera inside the Forsyth County Courthouse. The camera, which turns heat into a visible image on a video screen, allows firefighters to see inside walls, floors and ceilings as they search for hot spots. - photo by Jim Dean

It appears electrical problems are to blame for unrelated smoke scares that drew firefighters to two public buildings Tuesday afternoon.

No one was injured in either incident.

The first happened about 2:45 p.m., when students at Daves Creek Elementary were evacuated to a park next to the school off Trammel Road.

Jennifer Caracciolo, spokeswoman for Forsyth County Schools, said district officials decided to clear the building after electrical problems spread smoke inside.

Caracciolo said the students were moved to nearby Joint Venture Park at Daves Creek, from where they were dismissed without incident.

Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said the situation was turned over to the school system's facilities and operations department after officials determined the smoke was not caused by fire.

A similar scenario unfolded more than hour later at the Forsyth County Courthouse, though the building was not evacuated.

Shivers said someone reported a smoky haze in the structure that was likely due to "an electrical problem of some sort."

The exact cause of the haze, which was reported about 4 p.m., was not immediately determined.

Traffic in downtown Cumming was disrupted for a short time, as firefighters investigated the situation.