By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Fire station fire causes little damage
Laptop computer battery apparent source of blaze
WEBfire station fire 1 jd
Forsyth County firefighter Les Leger hauls out debris Tuesday from a fire inside Fire Station 13. Emergency medical technicians housed in the station discovered the accidental blaze. - photo by Jim Dean

Officials say the fire was likely caused by a defective battery in a laptop.  Even though the computer was turned off, and zipped inside a case, they say the battery caught fire.  Several different laptop battery models have been recalled.  To see if your battery has been recalled, CLICK HERE.  

There may be other batteries that have been recalled that are not listed.  If you are concerned, you should contact the manufacturer of your laptop.  

An unseasonable snow fell Tuesday afternoon as firefighters worked to extinguish a blaze inside a public safety facility.

A medical emergency crew housed in the station called 911 about 1 p.m. when they arrived at Fire Station 13 on Doc Bramblett Road to find smoke pouring out.

Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said the fire was accidental and damage to the structure was minor.

“It’s fortunate that Med 13 returned from their last alarm when they did,” he said. The crew works with the fire department through a contract with Advanced Ambulance and are not firefighters, Shivers said.

“The fire was still in its (early) stage. Had they been gone a more lengthy time, it would’ve been heavily involved when someone noticed it.”

Shivers said an electronic malfunction apparently caused the blaze.

“It was due to some form of malfunction in a laptop computer,” he said. “Most likely the battery cell. It was in a case on the bunk in the supervisor’s quarters.”

He said the computer was off, but somehow it overheated and caused the battery case to catch fire. The case was on a mattress, which was also scorched.

“Even public safety personnel are not immune to hazards like this,” he added. “It’s important to take heed and monitor your electronics and be cognizant of factory recalls.”

The station is also home to a 1937 hook and ladder truck.

E-mail Julie Arrington at