By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Former Hall Fire battalion chief accused of stalking, harassing county employees
David McGhee
David McGehee

A former Hall County Fire Services battalion chief is charged with harassing by phone and stalking the county’s human resources director, public information officer and county administrator, according to authorities.

David McGehee, 52, was booked Friday in to the Hall County Jail, where he remains.

“It is alleged that McGehee has repeatedly contacted Hall County administrators and personnel by means of email and phone calls during the time period of Oct. 12, 2015, through June 9,” Hall County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Deputy Nicole Bailes wrote in a news release.

The administrators named in the warrants are Hall County HR director Bill Moats, public information officer Katie Crumley and county administrator Randy Knighton.

All three declined to comment Monday to The Times.

McGehee last served as a battalion chief with Hall County Fire Services in February 2013, when he was terminated after an alleged domestic violence incident. McGehee denied the allegations.

McGehee was initially charged with two counts of simple battery, one count of disorderly conduct and obstruction of an officer in an incident at his Dunagan Road home.

McGehee later entered a guilty plea to misdemeanor reckless conduct.

The Civil Service Board upheld the termination decision in 2014 after multiple hearings.

Joseph Homans, the attorney who represented McGehee through his appeals, said he was unaware of the case Monday.

McGehee had written many emails to county officials voicing his concern about decisions being made in the fire department and wanting to get his job back with the county.

According to the warrant, authorities claim McGehee “did follow, contact, place under surveillance” Moats, Crumley and Knighton “repeatedly and without their consent for the purpose of harassing and intimidating them.”

McGehee was employed with the fire department for 29 years.

Bailes said the investigation is ongoing.