A hay fire in a barn closed part of Shadburn Road at Keith Bridge Road (Hwy. 306) Thursday about 8:15 a.m. as firefighters used the space to stretch a water line from a hydrant.
Though the structure was not damaged, and no injuries were reported, the response shut down one lane for about 30 minutes on April 7, according to Forsyth County Fire Division Chief Jason Shivers.
The barn in which the hay caught fire is “purely used for storing hay,” Shivers said.
When workers arrived Thursday morning, they noticed smoke coming from the building and began removing the large, round-style bales with tractors.
Fire crews helped extinguish the fire with water and foam, with about 10-12 bales being affected by the blaze, Shivers said.
“It was completely accidental,” he said. “Those kinds of fires are easily started through spontaneous combustion.”