Forsyth County government is seeking public input for the proposed continuation of a local sales tax program
Starting next week, the county will hold 10 meetings – two in each of the five commission districts – to get public input for SPLOST VIII (Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax), a continuation of a special one percent sales tax that has existed in the county since 1987 and is used for designated programs or capital projects.
To become a reality, voters will have to approve the proposal, likely in the upcoming November election.
“Prior to the referendum, the board of commissioners will develop and approve a list of potential projects to be funded by the proposed SPLOST VIII program,” said County Manager Eric Johnson in a news release “The purpose of these forums is to hear from citizens about the types of projects they would prefer be funded by the sales tax. How much of the potential funding would they want to go toward transportation, public safety, parks, or other categories? That is what we hope to learn from these meetings.”
In the past, the construction of the new jail, courthouse and parking decks in downtown Cumming, new fire stations and fire trucks, road widening and infrastructure improvements and purchasing land for county parts has been undertaken with SPLOST funding.
A daytime and nighttime meeting will be held for each district, and attendees are encouraged to drop in at any time during the meetings. There will be no formal presentations, and all meetings will have the same information
Below is a list of when and where meetings will be held.
- District 1, 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 24, Cumming Public Library, 585 Dahlonega Street, Cumming
- District 2, 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 30, Old Atlanta Park Recreation Center, 810 Nichols Road, Suwanee
- District 4, 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 31, Coal Mountain Park Community Building, 3560 Settingdown Road, Cumming
- District 5, 10 a.m. to noon Feb. 7, Windermere Lodge, 4444 Front Nine Drive, Cumming
- District 4, 6-8 p.m. Feb. 8, Hampton Park Library, 5345 Settingdown Road, Cumming
- District 1, 6-8 p.m. Feb. 13, Central Park Recreation Center banquet room, 2300 Keith Bridge Road, Cumming
- District 2, 6-8 p.m. Feb. 22, Forsyth Conference Center at Lanier Technical College, 3410 Ronald Reagan Boulevard, Cumming
- District 3, 10 a.m. to noon Feb. 27, Post Road Library, 5010 Post Road, Cumming
- District 5 6-8 p.m. Feb. 28, County Administration Building lobby, 110 E. Main Street, Cumming
- District 3, 6-8 p.m. March 8, Fowler Park Recreation Center gym, 4110 Carolene Way, Cumming