By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Morning blaze displaces family
pttman circle 3 jd
No injuries were reported as a result of this fire at 2449 Pittman Circle. - photo by Jim Dean (previous profile)
Michele Norris was at work Thursday morning when a fire broke out in her west Forsyth home.

No injuries were reported as a result of the blaze, which drew firefighters to 2449 Pittman Circle about 8:30 a.m.

Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said the interior of the house had significant smoke and water damage.

“The family is obviously going to be displaced,” he said, adding that the American Red Cross and two local churches have offered assistance to Norris and her family.

Shivers said the fire appears to have started in the kitchen. While officials have not determined what caused it, foul play is not suspected.

Norris, who teaches at a private Pre-K school in Johns Creek, said her 12-year-old daughter was home when the blaze started.

Norris said her mother saw smoke when she went to take the girl to school and got her and their three dogs out of the house.

“My mom called me (about 8:45 a.m.) and said there was smoke coming from the attic,” Norris said. “I don’t know what started it.”

Norris said her other two daughters, ages 11 and 15, were at school.

She rents the house, which she shares with the girls and her mother. She said they moved in about six months ago and still had some boxes to unpack.

Shivers said two of Norris’s five cats were killed in the blaze. Firefighters buried them at her request.

The remaining three could not immediately be found.

“We are hoping they escaped through a window,” Shivers said.

Check back for updates or see the next edition of the Forsyth County News.