By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Two fires cause heavy damage
Flames consume furniture store, Cumming home
Placeholder Image
Forsyth County News

rustic furniture final with corrections

click for a multimedia presentation on the Rustick Furniture fire.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Two Forsyth County fires late last week resulted in heavy damage but no injuries, an official said.

The first fire occurred around 8:30 p.m. Thursday at Cedar Mountain Rustic Furniture on Canton Highway in western Forsyth.

Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said it appears the fire started in the warehouse and manufacturing facility at the back of the building.

“As you progress to the front of the building there is some lighter fire damage and then just smoke and water damage,” Shivers said, adding that the building is still standing.

“A large amount of inventory and raw materials are still in tact as well as a lot of machinery and the front showroom area,” he said.

Shivers said the incident is a prime example of why the fire department sends multiple units in response to fire alarms.

Shivers said the first company that arrived immediately called for assistance.

“They had a confirmed commercial fire and within minutes of them arriving the initial dispatched units were rolling in behind them,” Shivers said.

“They had safety, backup and more personnel immediately upon arrival. Whereas if we’d sent only a single engine they would have been on their own in a very hazardous environment for a very long period of time.”

He said no one was inside the building and firefighters had to cut into steel roll-up doors at the facility to get in and put out the blaze.

Shivers said the scene was cleared at about midnight.

Around 9:45 a.m. Friday, firefighters responded to a house fire at 3010 Lakeside Drive east of Cumming near Young Deer Creek.

Shivers said the house was heavily damaged and no one was home at the time.

He said there are no fire hydrants in the neighborhood, but that did not hinder the fire department’s ability to extinguish the flames.

“Two tankers responded with the first engines and they supplied water to the engine companies as, essentially, mobile, rolling hydrants,” he said.

“So there was absolutely no delay in water supply and we had plenty of water for this operation with the two tankers that were dispatched on the call.”

The fire was out by about 11:30 a.m., he said.

Shivers said both fires are under investigation.