By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Second body found, ID’d in Lake Lanier boating incident
Lanier point south 3.jpg

Rescuers on Saturday recovered the second victim of Wednesday’s fatal boating incident on Lake Lanier.

The body of Nick Schimweg, 38, of Cumming, was recovered by Georgia DNR game wardens just after 6:30 p.m., according to Mark McKinnon, a public affairs officer for the Georgia DNR.

Schimweg’s body was located approximately 50 feet from the crash site, McKinnon said, in the Bald Ridge Creek area of Little Ridge Park. Rescuers discovered the body in 54-feet-deep water where the bottom is covered in standing and fallen timber, McKinnon said.

Rescuers located Schimweg’s body using sector scan donor, McKinnon said, then retrieved it using a remove-operated-vehicle.

The body was turned over to the Forsyth County Coroner, McKinnon said.

Schimweg’s recovery completed efforts that began Wednesday after game wardens received reports of a boating incident involving a bass boat and cruiser on Wednesday, May 8 at approximately 4:55 p.m.

Schimweg was the passenger on the bass boat, which was operated by Brianislav Prazich, 59, of Cumming. The boat was discovered with extensive damage but Schimweg and Prazich were missing.

Divers recovered Prazich’s body near the incident site on Thursday, May 9, at 3:30 p.m.

The other boat, a 23- to 24-foot cruiser with three adults on board, had only minor damage. 

Scott Butler, 55, of Atlanta who was operating the cruiser, was taken to North Fulton Hospital for treatment of chest pain and upper extremities injuries, according to Division Chief Jason Shivers of the Forsyth County Fire Department. 

The cruiser’s two passengers — Amy Butler, 19, of Atlanta, and Abigail Suzman, 18, of Scarsdale, N.Y. — received only minor injuries.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Georgia DNR Law Enforcement Division, Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office, Forsyth County Fire Department and Forsyth County Emergency Management Agency wereare involved in the recovery effort.

The DNR Law Enforcement’s Critical Incident Reconstruction Team is investigating the incident, which is expected to take 6-8 weeks, according to McKinnon.