Two workers were injured Monday while responding to a natural gas leak in south Forsyth that disrupted traffic in the area well into the evening.
Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said two Atlanta Gas Light workers involved in the repair efforts were burned when they struck an underground power line off Brookwood Road.
One worker was taken to Emory Johns Creek Hospital with first degree burns to his hands and face, Shivers said. The other worker declined treatment.
Shivers said the intersection of Brookwood and Lakeheath Drive was shut down about 11:15 a.m. Monday after the leak was reported.
He said the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office detoured traffic away from the crossing.
Brookwood was closed throughout the evening rush hour, reopening about 9 p.m.
Atlanta Gas Light had the leak contained by about 6 p.m.
He said residents of The Summit at Brookwood and Evonvale subdivisions were not able to access their neighborhoods from Brookwood.
However, both communities have secondary entrances on McGinnis Ferry Road.
Five adults were evacuated from eight homes, Shivers said, while residents in four other homes were asked to stay inside.
Shivers said it appears the leak was caused by a utilities crew boring underneath Brookwood. The work ruptured a four- or six-inch pipe.
"A six-inch line runs north and south along Brookwood and a four-inch line runs east and west to feed the Summit and the Evonvale neighborhoods," Shivers said.
He described the repairs as a "lengthy operation."