High winds and freezing temperatures swept through Forsyth County on Friday, the first official day of winter, but they caused only minor incidents.
Forsyth County Fire Capt. Debbie Lindstrom said the winds on Thursday night and Friday downed some trees on power lines. There also were some transformer issues as a result of the windy conditions.
A tree fell on a detached garage Thursday night, but there were no injuries, Lindstrom said.
“There was nothing significant where we’ve had any major power outages,” she said. “With the wind we had, it was quiet, so we’ve been lucky.”
Despite the freezing temperatures, the department had not responded to any chimney fires as the weekend got under way.
Lindstrom recommended residents check their fireplaces and advised them not to burn paper or garbage in them.
For those keeping warm with space heaters, Lindstrom recommended keeping the heaters away from combustibles.
She said residents should also let their faucets drip and check pipes to keep them from freezing, which could cause the pipes to burst when they warm up.