Currently the United States government owes over $15 trillion — that’s about $14,000 for every man, woman and child in the U.S., and growing every day.
We, as a country, cannot sustain that kind of debt. Unlike Georgia, the federal government does not have to balance their budget. In fact, the current Obama Administration has not signed a budget in three years. Yes, that’s right; the United States is operating without a budget. How would you like to print money when you need it and let someone else finance it? Our debt to China is staggering, and one day the note is going to come due.
Below is a small example from the Brookings Harbor Tea Party, based in Brookings, Ore., of what a billion dollars looks like when compared to time:
• A billion seconds ago it was 1959.
• A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.
• A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.
• A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.
• A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.
• Over one hundred years ago, the 43-plus taxes we currently have were not there. We had absolutely no national debt, and we had the largest middle class in the world.
America is the greatest nation on the earth. If we are to remain so we are going to have to live within our means.
Sen. Jack Murphy