By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Lacrosse: Lambert moves to final game
Longhorns wear down Roswell in semifinals
The Longhorns march off the field Saturday in the teams 11-10 victory against Milton in the state quarterfinals. Following its defeat of Roswell in the semifinals Wednesday night, Lambert moves on to its third consecutive shot at the state championship. - photo by File photo

Lambert was simply too fast for Roswell on Wednesday night.

Senior Peyton Smith paced the No. 1-seed Longhorns with five goals and invoked a running clock in the second half, as they cruised to a 17-6 victory over No. 4-seed Roswell in the state Class 6A boys lacrosse semifinals at The Horn.

With the win, Lambert earns a berth in its third straight state final. The Longhorns will face Centennial, a team that topped them 11-8 in late March, on Saturday in Roswell.

If Lambert wins, it would tie Lovett for the most state titles in boys lacrosse and would be the first team to win three consecutive championships.

Wednesday’s game was a rematch of a March regular season contest Lambert won 7-3.

Wehman said he couldn’t take much from the earlier meeting, since both teams had evolved over the season, but he knew if the Longhorns (15-6) could play a fast-paced style, their depth would eventually wear down Roswell (11-7).

“What I noticed in the first quarter of the game was that it was a really fast pace,” Wehman said. “And I could tell looking at both teams the kids were really fatigued, and we have a lot of depth and we like to play that high tempo. And, really, I think that’s kind of what kicked in in the third quarter.”

Lambert led 9-5 at halftime, but took full control of the game in the third quarter.

Sean Carruthers, who had racked up four assists by that point, recorded a goal of his own with a close-range shot past the goalie just 42 seconds into the period.

His goal sent Lambert on an 8-1 run to close the game.

Spencer Wilson got in on the action with back-to-back goals, while teammates Jake Stanford, Matt Geran and Smith padded the lead before ending the quarter 15-6.

Wilson added one more goal in the fourth quarter before Hunter Shepherd capped the scoring at 17-6.

“We just kept playing like [the score] was 0-0 and kept putting it in the back of the goal,” Smith said. “I felt like I was pretty hot tonight. The beginning of the season I started out slow and started putting it together, but it was all about the team tonight.

“I was just looking for the crease and I was open, so [my] teammates passed me the ball and I just put it in the back of the net. It was tough at the beginning. We didn’t think we had it in us. We started kind of slow and then we got to our peak and came together as a team.”

Geran scored the game’s first goal a little over one minute into the first quarter as he powered a shot into the right side of the net past Roswell goalie Houston Brice.

Smith tallied two goals, while Ryan Fendt and Mitchell Pearson each had one to end the first quarter 5-2.

The Longhorns then pushed the advantage with two goals from Smith and one from Stanford and Wilson to end the second quarter 9-5.

McHale Schneider led Roswell with two goals, as Lambert goalie Garret Gomez made short work of the Hornets.

“I just think we’re playing our best lacrosse right now, especially on the offensive end of the field,” said Rich Wehman, director of lacrosse. “I think we felt good.

“I think we felt like if we came out and executed tonight, that we would be OK, and that’s how it turned out.”