By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Deputy wounded in courthouse shooting issues first statement
rush fb photo3


* Fundraisers continue for wounded deputy.

CUMMING — The veteran Forsyth County Sheriff’s deputy credited for preventing a heavily armed gunman from storming the courthouse downtown on June 6 is continuing his recovery from a gunshot wound suffered in the attack.

Daniel Rush was recently moved from an area hospital, where he underwent two surgeries in as many weeks, to a rehab facility. He reportedly suffered broken bones in his leg, but is expected to make a full recovery.

In a statement released Tuesday afternoon, his first since the incident, Daniel Rush expressed gratitude to the community for its ongoing generosity during this time.

“The cards, visitors and well wishes from friends and strangers have helped me overcome many obstacles I faced over the past several weeks and will keep me motivated while I focus on my recovery,” said Rush, a 25-year veteran of the force.

While appreciative of the support, Rush went on to request privacy as he focuses on healing.

According to his statement, Rush said he is “forever grateful to my family at the sheriff's office who helped pull me to safety, render first aid and neutralize the situation at the courthouse, all under the stress of active gunfire.”

“Their actions certainly prevented further harm and damage to me and others,” he said. “The care I received from my co-workers, EMS and the medical staff at North Fulton Hospital has been exceptional.

“It was comforting to see the quick response from all the first responders and surrounding agencies who all helped manage this situation. I am anxious to get back to work as soon as I am healthy enough to return.”

The gunman, 48-year-old Dennis Ronald Marx of Cumming, was shot and killed in the attack by other sheriff’s deputies, who engaged him outside the courthouse.

According to the sheriff’s office, Marx was scheduled to appear in court that morning to enter a guilty plea on drug and weapon charges from August 2011. Instead, he began a “full frontal assault” that officials said had involved extensive preparation.

Marx drove a rented silver Nissan Armada onto the courthouse plaza about 9:57 a.m. and threw out spike strips to hold off law enforcement’s response before attacking the facility.

Instead of being able to drive into the courthouse, Marx set off some smoke and tear gas grenades and exchanged gunfire with Rush as other deputies quickly joined in.

Marx, who was alone in the vehicle and wearing body armor, was struck several times and died at the scene. Rush suffered two broken bones in his leg and is expected to make a full recovery.

“If not for the actions of the deputies that work in that courthouse, particularly [Rush], we would have had severe loss of life,” Sheriff Duane Piper said after the attack.

“[The gunman] came there … with the specific purpose of killing as many people as he could. The actions of the deputies saved several lives.”

Rush has received gifts and assistance from the community and local businesses throughout his recovery. And the JD Rush Recovery Fund has been set up for anyone who would like to visit a branch of Citizens Bank of Forsyth and make a donation to the account.