By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Police ID man who shot deputy before taking own life in north Forsyth home
Also release name of deputy; has been released from hospital
Elias Alexander Quintero
Elias Alexander Quintero. (Courtesy of the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office)

Both the deceased suspect and the Forsyth County deputy he shot twice in the leg when he responded to a domestic-related 911 call Sunday afternoon before barricading himself in a north Forsyth home have been identified by authorities.

Jon Beival
Deputy Jon Beival.
Elias Alexander Quintero, 35, who lived on the 6000 block of Akins Way off Parks Road north of Browns Bridge Road (Hwy. 369), was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound when a SWAT team robot entered the home about 7:40 p.m. on July 16, nearly six hours after he initiated a standoff with deputies from multiple units and counties.

Four deputies responded to the 911 call about 3:08 p.m. and were reportedly speaking with his girlfriend, who made the call, in the front yard when Quintero opened “significant and sustained gunfire from within the residence, according to Deputy Doug Rainwater, a spokesman for the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputy Jon Beival, a six-year veteran of the sheriff’s office assigned to the Uniform Patrol Division at the north precinct, was wounded by two shots to his lower leg from a high-powered rifle, Rainwater said.

“Fellow deputies immediately placed a tourniquet on his leg and evacuated him to Northside Hospital-Forsyth, where he was treated and later released for non-life threatening injuries,” Rainwater said.

SWAT teams from North Fulton and Forsyth and Cherokee counties, as well as a Crisis Negotiation Team from Forsyth, Georgia State Patrol officers and an aviation unit and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation responded to the scene.

After attempted negotiations and an administration of tear gas into the home, in which no one else other than Quintero remained, a SWAT team robot was sent inside and “could see a subject lying on a couch. The Forsyth County SWAT team then entered the residence” and found Quintero deceased.

The investigation has been turned over to the GBI, who notified Quintero’s family.

A motive has not been released. Rainwater said Quintero has no recorded history of domestic violence.

The two deputies who returned the initial gunfire have been placed on “routine administrative leave with pay,” as per policy.

Beival was released from Northside “on Sunday evening with his family by his side” and accompanied by two members of Sheriff Ron Freeman’s command staff.

A man initiated a standoff on July 16 for nearly six hours after shooting a deputy in the leg and barricading himself in a north Forsyth home.