By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Suspect pleads guilty in massacre
Four died in 2006 farmhouse attack
McGhee J


A man suspected of killing four people and injuring several others in a 2006 rampage at a farmhouse in south Forsyth has pleaded guilty to the charges against him.


Forsyth County Superior Court Judge David L. Dickinson sentenced Jason Samuel McGhee, 31, to serve four consecutive life sentences, plus 100 years without the possibility of parole.


By pleading guilty to four counts of malice murder, three counts of aggravated battery and one count each of aggravated assault and burglary, McGhee avoided the death penalty.


Forsyth County District Attorney Penny Penn said that had McGhee’s case gone to trial she thinks evidence would have shown he was the one “who stabbed and shot everybody” on March 19, 2006.


“We’re certainly pleased to put it behind us,” Penn said.


Two other men, Frank Ortegon and Marcin Sosniak, also have been charged in the attack, which resulted in the deaths of four people, three of them teenagers.


As part of his plea, McGhee agreed to cooperate and testify in the cases against them. He’s also barred from seeking clemency.


The outcome pleased Forsyth County Sheriff Ted Paxton.


“We’re certainly glad for there to be some closure to this event for the families of the victims,” he said. “And I certainly support the district attorney’s actions in this particular case and I think justice has been served.”


McGhee did not address the court, other than to enter his guilty plea. Though some of his relatives were there, no one spoke on his behalf, Penn said.


Attempts to reach McGhee’s court-appointed attorneys for comment afterward were not successful.


Penn said McGhee’s plea does not change the state’s position against his co-defendants, Ortegon and Sosniak.


They still face the death penalty for the attack nearly six years ago at the farmhouse off Ronald Regan Boulevard


While Ortegon’s case is scheduled for trial in March, Penn said she hopes he also will enter a guilty plea.


“We will turn our attention to him early in the year to see if we can get that case resolved as well,” Penn said.


Sosniak’s appointed attorneys filed a notice of appeal with the Georgia Supreme Court in October after Dickinson denied their request to dismiss the case.


Penn said it could be summer before the high court issues an opinion on the matter. A trial date could be set after that.