By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Rush to register
Sign-ups under way for school district
School Registration 3 es
Brothers Nicholas, left, and Benjamin Trahan play with chairs while their mother registers them for school. - photo by Emily Saunders

The Almon C. Hill Educational Center is at 136 Elm St., across from Forsyth Central High School in Cumming. For more information, including a complete list of items needed to register, click on the registration link at
Martha Trahan decided not to wait until the last minute to sign her sons up for school.

Trahan came to the Almon C. Hill Educational Center on Monday to register 8-year-old Nicholas for third grade and 6-year-old Ben for first grade at Brookwood Elementary School.

The Trahans moved to Forsyth County from Alpharetta about a week after the end of last school year.

“I just always love to do things ahead of time,” Trahan said. “It’s always more convenient.”

The center handles registration for all new students from pre-kindergarten through the 12th grade in the Forsyth County school system.

The center buzzed Monday with parents, who like Trahan, wanted to go ahead and sign their children up.

Registrar Debbie Holland said the center allows parents and legal guardians to register students by appointment and walk-in, but those with scheduled times are received first.

Holland said she and her staff are expecting a crowd the week before school starts Aug. 10.

“We just hope people will come in early to try to register and not wait until the last minute,” Holland said. “We do get quite busy just before school starts.”

Appointments can be scheduled from 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The center is closed on Fridays.

Holland asked that parents and legal guardians remember to bring proper documentation, which includes two forms of proof of residency — such as a rental agreement or property tax statement — and a current utility bill.

Students being registered must also have a current and complete immunization certificate and proof of age, such as a certified copy of a birth certificate.

They also must have an ear, eye and dental examination certificate and a Social Security card or waiver form.

E-mail Julie Arrington at