By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Winter weather makes mild return to Forsyth
WinterWeather 1

FORSYTH COUNTY — Drivers in Forsyth County seemed to freeze out travel on icy roads Tuesday morning, which law enforcement officials credited for fewer complications than last week’s winter storm.

Icy spots in the western and northern regions of the county led to a “handful of wrecks,” said Robin Regan, a spokesman for the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office.

No one was seriously injured in any of them, though, and no crashes caused major delays to passing motorists.

“Had there been a lot of vehicles on the road [Tuesday morning], it could have definitely been worse,” Regan said.

A slight break between two storms allowed emergency personnel to prepare for today, when forecasts predicted the week’s second front would reach the county by afternoon.

Big, fat flakes are forecast as the area could get a couple of inches of snowfall by Thursday morning.

A current winter storm watch, running from 10 this morning through 8 a.m. Thursday, could become a warning overnight Tuesday as a cold front moves into the region, bringing heavy precipitation from south of Atlanta to Northeast Georgia, according to the National Weather Service.

Snow is predicted to begin accumulating by early afternoon, with the thick of it hitting about 7 p.m. Temperatures are expected to hover between 30 and 34 degrees.

But the amount of snow could increase, and forecasters said there is a better than 40 percent probability that counties in northeast Georgia, including Forsyth, could get more than 4 inches.

Forecasters said the snowstorm will undoubtedly impact rush-hour traffic today.

Forsyth County’s emergency operations center, which houses decision-making representatives for the sheriff’s office, fire department, school district and 911 center, closed Tuesday. It was expected to restart operations today, Regan said.

Pat Giordano, director of the county’s 911 center, said “a couple” calls came in for ice Tuesday morning, but the call volume was “no comparison to last week.”

In the first 36 hours after the storm Feb. 16, local agencies responded to 814 calls. The sheriff’s office fielded 695 of those, with about 400 involving trees falling across roads. About 100 were related to downed power lines.

Thousands of residents felt the impact much longer last week, as power service was disrupted for days. At the height of the storm, about 38,000 were without service.

On Tuesday, dispatchers working the morning shift reported for work at 5 a.m. The shift usually starts at 7 a.m.

Giordano said the same procedure was planned for today, as well as stationing extra personnel to prepare for this afternoon.


FCN regional staff contributed to this report.