A woman and her daughter are safe following a fire Wednesday in their northern Forsyth County home.
No injuries were reported in the incident, which happened about 4:40 p.m. at 6170 Matt Hwy.
Marie Pruitt said the blaze started in her kitchen after she stepped outside with her 5-year-old daughter.
“I had just turned on the stove for the water to boil,” she said. “Next thing I know, I went to open the door and it was smoking.”
She said she thought she may have turned on the wrong eye of the stove, but wasn’t sure.
“We’re fine, I was just shaken up,” she said.
Pruitt said she got two of her dogs out, but was not sure where the third one went.
She and her child stayed outside and she opened the door, hoping someone would see the flames or hear the smoke alarm and call 911.
Luckily, her aunt, Clara Harbin, drove by and did just that.
Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said the house is salvageable. He said the living room and kitchen were burned and there was smoke damage throughout.
“The first arriving engine crew was engine three with three personnel on board,” he said. “(Two firefighters) performed a very rapid primary search of the home while conducting the initial fire suppression.”
Shivers explained that the house was searched a second time, just to be sure no one was trapped inside. Other fire and emergency personnel arrived minutes later.
“The additional manpower helped with the secondary search and a more thorough extinguishing of the fire,” he said.
The incident caused traffic on Matt Highway to be rerouted for about an hour and a half.
In addition, a tow truck was called to help free a tractor trailer hauling grain that got stuck across the road while trying to turn around.