About this article
This article was originally published in the November/December 2016 issue of M: North Atlanta, a publication of the Forsyth County News. To read the entire magazine, click here.
’Tis the season for climbing up to the attic or rummaging around in the basement storage room and dusting off the Christmas decorations. Some you might have even had for decades.
If you are planning to host your annual Christmas party this year or just plan on a few friends and family coming over, why not spruce up your decorating routine and get creative?
Jumpstart your inspiration by looking up some fun DIY (do it yourself) holiday projects on Pinterest that you can do with your children or friends.
We can’t all have the talents of interior designers, so when you get the opportunity to find out how designers decorate their home for the holidays, you jump at the opportunity.
I caught up with one of my favorite local interior designers, Leslie Eversole, to find out how she gets her home ready for the season.
Leslie started Three Little Dogs Flooring and Interiors 10 years ago (and now she is up to five little dogs) and has since decorated, remodeled and designed thousands of homes.
You may have seen her store located across from The Collection on Peachtree Parkway in Cumming but they recently moved to a new quaint location in historic downtown Cumming on Pirkle Ferry Road. Three Little Dogs offers full flooring sales and installation, color consultation, remodeling and new construction as well as design consultation services.
LESLIE'S TOP 10 TIPS FOR DECORATING FOR THE HOLIDAYS
1. Make your house look fresh — edit out artificial decorations, keep it simple and natural.
2. Decorate with nature and incorporate natural elements — a bowl full of pine cones, Leslie buys one gallon Leland cypresses and puts them in pots around the house.
3. Spruce up your entry way — it is the first thing your guests will see. Leslie has a chalkboard in the entryway where she writes a welcoming holiday message.
4. Small changes go a long way — consider updating a backsplash, getting a new custom rug made or a new stair runner.
5. Choose thoughtful places to add decorations — you don’t have to have every inch decorated, don’t forget your staircase!
6. Be creative — you can put your tree in a basket or galvanized tub — something unexpected will be more memorable.
7. Decorate with colors that match your decor — Leslie generally picks a color to center things around, her walls and furniture are all neutral so she can mix in any color.
8. Add in handmade touches — make your place cards or gift tags and decorations out of items from your yard, then you can throw them back in your yard when the party’s over.
9. Think of ways to use your favorite found items in a different way — add a family heirloom to your table centerpiece.
10. Be creative with your host/hostess gifts — Leslie always ask guests to bring a bag of pet food to be donated to a local shelter.