Candidates have made their campaigns official for several seats representing Forsyth County voters.
Qualifying for local party candidates and non-partisan candidates in the May 24 general primary and nonpartisan general election and independent candidates running in the Nov. 8 general election was held the week of Monday, March 7 through Friday, March 11, and brought candidates for seats at federal, state and local levels.
This year’s campaigns will look different, as many Forsyth County voters have new Congressional, state legislative, school board and county commission districts after redistricting and reapportionment following the 2020 Census.
For more on those changes and other election information, click here.
Incumbents Forsyth County District 3 Commissioner Todd Levent, Solicitor General Bill Finch, Chief Superior Court Judge Jeffrey S. Bagley and Superior Court Judge Phillip C. Smith qualified and did not receive a challenge for their seats, while Forsyth County District 1 Commissioner Molly Cooper and Forsyth County Board of Education District 2, which will be District 5 starting in 2023, member Kristin Morrissey did not qualify to run for their current seats.
Below is a look at which seats will have races this year.
United States House District 6, representing all of Forsyth and Dawson counties and portions of Cherokee, Cobb, Fulton and Gwinnett counties.
- Jake Evans, Republican, Attorney, www.JakeEvans.org;
- Rich McCormick, Republican. Emergency room physician, www.RichMcCormick.us;
- Paulette Smith, Republican, Retired business owner, www.PauletteSmithforCongress.com;
- Mallory Staples, Republican, Ministry, www.StaplesforCongress.com;
- Wayne C. White, Democratic, Consultant in international development, www.WayneforGeorgia.com.
- Bob Christian, Democratic, Combat veteran and businessman;
- Byron Gatewood, Republican, Self-employed/Army Reserve, www.gatewoodforgeorgia.com;
- Blake Harbin, Republican, Business owner, www.BlakeHarbin.com;
- Suzi Voyles, Republican, Consultant, www.SuziVoyles.com;
- Meagan Hanson, Republican, Attorney, www.MeaganHanson.com;
- Eugene Yu, Republican, Retired, www.EugeneYuforCongress.com.
State Senate District 27, representing the majority of Forsyth County and no other counties.
- Greg Dolezal (incumbent), Republican, Small business owner, www.DolezalforSenate.com;
- Brent Binion, Democratic, Learning architect.
State Senate District 48, representing a portion of south Forsyth County and portions of Fulton and Gwinnett counties.
- Shawn Still, Republican, CEO, www.ShawnStill.com;
- Josh Uddin, Democratic, Businessman, www.JoshforGaSenate.com;
- Kevin Grindlay, Republican, Grocery clerk, www.VoteKevinGa.com.
State House District 11, representing northwest Forsyth County, Pickens County and a portion of Hall County.
- Rick Jasperse (incumbent), Republican, Retired county agricultural agent, www.RickJasperse.org;
- Kayla Hollifield, Democratic, Bid coordinator, www.HollifieldforHouse.com.
State House District 24, representing a portion of western Forsyth County. This district will not represent any other county.
- Sheri Smallwood Gilligan (incumbent), Republican, Former intelligence officer, www.VoteGilligan.com;
- Ed Solly, Republican, District manager for Extra Space Inc., www.EdSolly.com;
- Carter Barrett, Republican, Banker, www.BarrettforStateHouse.com;
- Sydney Walker, Democratic, Homemaker.
State House District 25, representing portions of south Forsyth and Fulton counties.
- Todd Jones (incumbent), Republican, Technology executive, www.Jonesfor.us;
- Craig Meyer, Democratic, Commercial real estate.
State House District 26, representing eastern Forsyth County.
- Lauren W. McDonald, III (incumbent), Republican, Funeral director, www.VoteLaurenMcDonald.com;
- Matthew Helms, Democratic, purchasing manager.
State House District 28, representing portions of northern Forsyth County and a portion of Hall County.
- Brent Cox, Republican, Business owner, www.BrentCoxforStateHouse.com;
- Donald Lannom, Republican, Consultant, www.DAforStateHouse.com;
- John Luchetti, Republican, Business owner;
- Blake McClellan, Republican, Entrepreneur;
- Tim Short, Republican, Pharmacist, www.VoteTimShort.com;
- Julie Tressler, Republican, Real estate sales, www.Julie2022.com;
- Claudia Wood, Democratic, Education Director.
State House District 100, representing portions of southern Forsyth County and portions of Gwinnett and Hall counties.
- David Clark (incumbent for current District 98), Republican, Small business owner, www.VoteDavidClark.com;
- Bonnie Rich (incumbent for current District 97), Republican, Attorney, www.BonnieRich.com.
- Louisa Shell Jackson, Democratic, Benefits manager, www.LouisaShellJackson4Georgia.com.
Forsyth County Commission District 1, representing northwest Forsyth County.
- Kerry Hill, Republican, IT, www.VoteKerryHill.com;
- Tim Huffine, Republican, Retired.
Forsyth County Board of Education District 1, representing northwest Forsyth County
- Wes McCall (incumbent), Republican, Emergency manager.
- Janna Kregoski, Democratic, Project manager;
- Dennis Scheidt, Republican, Retired.
Forsyth County Board of Education District 5, representing a portion of southern Forsyth County
- Erin Knight, Republican, Independent reading specialist, www.VoteKnight2022.com;
- Mike Valdes, Republican, Construction engineer;
- Elaine Padgett, Democratic, Nurse.
Judge of State Court of Forsyth County (to succeed Leslie Abernathy-Maddox)