By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Soccer: South Forsyth sweeps Forsyth Central to keep pace in region
Template Graphic StoryPhoto

South Forsyth boys soccer dominated possession and capitalized on their chances on the way to a 4-0 win over Forsyth Central on Tuesday night.

South created several chances in the first half, with nine shots and five shots on goal.

The War Eagles (8-5, 6-2 in Region 5-7A) opened up the scoring with 23:10 remaining in the first half. Trevor Byrne played a great through-ball down the right side to Chris Mendelson who found Andrew Shah inside the 6-yard box, and he tucked it into the back of the net.

Set-pieces played a crucial role in South’s success, scoring three of their four goals in that fashion.

Late in the first half, Byrne played in a great ball off a corner kick and Ryan Fierle got his head on it and it deflected off the keeper’s hands and into the back of the net, putting South up 2-0.

Then in the final seconds of the first half, South got another corner kick. This time Jordan Pelletier crossed one to the back post and Adrian Garcia was there to head it in, giving South a 3-0 lead with 2 seconds remaining in the first half.

“We played good defense tonight,” South Head Coach Tom Braun said. “We moved the ball, we scored off our corners. We got some of our big guys into the attack, and they put the ball in the back of the night. We seemed to the control the ball really well and put in our opportunities.”

The Bulldogs (6-8, 2-4) struggled to get much going. They got three shots on goal, but really only challenged the keeper one time.

“I think South Forsyth is a good team,” Central Head Coach Will Gifford said. “They’re dangerous on set-pieces and three of their four goals came on set-pieces. That was the difference in the game. They did what they needed to do. They finished their chances, and that was something that we struggled to do tonight.”

The War Eagles’ final goal came with 4:37 remaining in the second half when Tate O’Brien was brought down in the box and was awarded a penalty kick. Byrne tucked the penalty kick in the left side of the net, giving South a 4-0 lead.

Byrne finished the game with a goal and two assists.

“It was a good win,” Byrne said. “it was the first time we’ve scored four goals in a while, so it’s always good to score.”

After a slow start to the game, South’s girls went on a scoring barrage to beat Central 5-0 in the first game of the night.

With 27:04 remaining in the first half, Megan Postell played a ball across the box to Lauren Kelly who shot it off the keeper’s hands and into the back of the net, putting the War Eagles (10-3, 6-2) up 1-0.

Then a minute later South found the back of the net again.

This time, Kelly played a beautiful ball down the left sideline to Nikki Bario who set up Jenna Vollrath at the 6-yard box and she finished it, putting South up 2-0.

Then with 23:33 remaining in the first half, Reagan Smith found the back of the net with a tremendous strike from 25 yards out, putting South up 3-0.

“It took us a little bit to settle down, but we did,” Braun said. “Central gave us a good game last time and we expected a good game this time. We did what we were supposed to do, we put the ball in the back of the net a few times in the first half, and continued in the second.”

In the second half, the War Eagles scored two more goals. Vollrath scored a goal and picked up two assists, while Megan Postell also scored a goal and assisted once.

Central (5-7, 1-6) got a few chances, but never really challenged the goalkeeper.