CUMMING — A popular Cumming establishment will be closed for the next week or two as it recovers from a weekend kitchen fire.
According to Forsyth County Fire Division Chief Jason Shivers, the blaze at Good Ol’ Days Irish Pub on Atlanta Road started about 7:30 a.m. Sunday.
Shivers said firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke, but the situation was “brought under control quickly and most of the damage was limited to the kitchen area.”
“There was very little damage to the bar or restaurant portion of the building, but the kitchen area did sustain significant damage and will require remodeling,” Shivers said.
“It’s under investigation, but [the blaze] is absolutely accidental ... our investigators feel confident that it was accidental in nature.”
The pub’s Facebook page attributed the fire to an electrical panel short. It noted that work to build a new and improved kitchen could keep the business closed for a couple of weeks.
A message on the page noted that efforts are under way to organize a benefit to help Good Ol’ Days’ employees, who will be out of work during the repairs.
“These kids have done a great job for us and all our customers, we would like to try to help them any way we can,” the message states. “Thanks for all your support.”
According to Shivers, the fire began before staff had arrived to begin Super Bowl Sunday preparations.
Cumming police, investigating a motion detector alarm, instead found smoke coming from the building and called 911 to dispatch the fire department.